disneyland: day 1

We left the house at 9AM, thinking Monkey would sleep for most of the ride down (about 1.5 hours) and then maybe take a second nap later in the day in his stroller (our check-in time wasn’t until 4PM). Well, he fell asleep about 15 minutes from our destination – sigh. We let him nap in the car for a bit while I went in to check our bags. Our room was already ready for us (yay!), so I checked in and dropped off our stuff. Monkey woke up so we went to the room to use the facilities and do a quick diaper change, then put Monkey in the stroller and walked to Disneyland! So far, so good.

The park was really crowded for late-February. I guess weekends are always pretty busy. We used to go yearly for DW’s birthday (2/22) and it was always nice and slow, but we went during the week. Note to self: Continue that trend. We got into the park and met up with our friend M and his son H. Then we headed for Fantasyland! The line for the Mad Tea Party was short, so we got in it. The boys did well in line and loved the ride šŸ™‚ Next up was It’s a Small World. It was about a 10 minute wait and Monkey did great in line, just checking everything out. He really LOVED the ride. Every now and then he’d grab my leg and DW’s leg and just squeeze in happiness. So cute! After that, we headed for Toon Town, thinking we’d let the boys roam around a bit. It was crazy crowded and H started to get restless so we decided to stop for lunch. Toon Town was too ridiculous, so we went to Tomorrowland, where we knew there was a ton of seating. We found a spot and I headed off in search of cheese pizza. When I got back, the Jedi Training show was in full swing and we were front row. The boys enjoyed seeing the Star Wars characters, so that was a nice little bonus.

We had park hopper tickets, so we thought we’d take the monorail over to California Adventure and see if it was any less crowded than Disneyland. The boys enjoyed riding the monorail, but everytime the doors would open, Monkey would try to make a run for it. Sigh. Finally made it to CA Adventure – wow, is that park ever a mess right now! They are doing a big overhaul and most of the park was behind scaffolding (J, you made the right call waiting for Cars Land to open – it is a mess!). We slowly made our way into the park and separated from M and H so that they could go on the ferris wheel. We were going to try to find a semi-quiet, shady spot to see if I could nurse Monkey and get him to nap. Mater and Lightning McQueen were on our way to Bug’s Life Land, so we stopped and tried to get a picture (Monkey LOVES Cars), but he was too out of sorts for that, so we continued our search for a nursing/napping place.

Believe it or not, we actually found a great spot right inside Bug’s Life Land. I put Monkey on the boob and tried to get him down. No dice. He was very amped up and wanted to just run wild, which we could not let him do in the very crowded park. We tried getting him in the stroller to see if he’d pass out – nope to both of these. So we decided to take him back to the room to see if he could get a nap in. We had 5:30PM dinner reservations for a character dinner (Goofy’s Kitchen in the Disneyland Hotel) and wanted him to be fresh for that – he so loves characters. I tried for so long to get him down, but it just wasn’t happening. I think he was just so excited by Disneyland, seeing H, and being in a hotel room.

M and H returned from the park so we went to their room where the boys had fun watching Nick Jr, playing with cars and coloring, and having snacks. Mamas each had one beer, which was very refreshing šŸ˜‰ Then it was time to get ready to head over for dinner.Ā  The plan was to have dinner and then go back into Disneyland and see how long the boys would last. Well, Monkey was melting down over everything at this point. We had to force him into his clothes (he bumped his head while doing this, which led to more crying and screaming). He also wouldn’t go into the stroller, so we had to carry him from our hotel through Downtown Disney to the Disneyland Hotel. My body is still sore! Then there was a huge line to get into the restaurant. Fortunately, H and Monkey entertained each other by running around a post, chasing each other. I finally got through the line and paid for our buffet meals. They called us soon after that.

We got a group picture taken with Goofy and Monkey had a great time hugging and touching him (H is not so into the characters – they scared him a bit). When we got inside, we were pleasantly surprised at how nicely set up it was. There was plenty of room around our table (we were worried we’d be squeezed in with a ton of people after the kind of excruciating wait) and the food was good. We were visited by Alice in Wonderland (meh) and then Minney Mouse (Monkey loved it). Then all hell broke loose. Monkey was not having sitting down, would not eat, and only wanted to be out of his seat and chasing after any character he saw. We let him do a bit of this, but it was tough because the characters were visiting different tables and taking pictures with the kids at the tables, so Monkey needed to wait his turn. We didn’t get to eat much and ended up taking him out sooner than we’d have liked because he just wouldn’t let up.

H and Monkey played for a bit in the lobby of the hotel and then we headed back through Downtown Disney toward the park and our hotel. Monkey was obviously losing it (so tired), so we decided to just call it a night. M and H headed into Disneyworld and we walked back to the hotel – carrying Monkey the whole way (did I mention how much my body still aches?). Monkey went to sleep easily (it was around 7:20PM) and we just hung out on our phones for a bit and went to bed early.

So, day 1 was a mixed bag. Only 2 rides plus monorail and dinner was not that successful. Fortunately day 2 was much better…


Filed under Uncategorized

2 responses to “disneyland: day 1

  1. ya’ll are troopers, oh my goodness! i would have worn out WAY before monkey! šŸ™‚

  2. Claire

    You really are troopers! I agree! Sounds like fun mixed with crazy! By the way, I didn’t get to post on your thyroid issue. I really hope it’s nothing and I’m sorry it’s so scary. Yes your doc should have told you about the testing and what was up with that. Good luck and keep us posted!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s