Hello, friends! I am back to provide updates to the bucket list as well as just a general update.
First, I put down a deposit for a 5-night Disney.Cruise for next June! I am so ridiculously excited!!!! I know the kids are going to LOVE it. I hope DW does as I know she’s mainly agreeing for me and the kids – she is not a big beach/pool vacation person. That said, she freaking LOVES Disney, so…
DW leaves for California on Saturday to help her mom finalize her move. They will both fly back next Wednesday. My parents are coming to help me with the boys from Sun-Wed, so that will be nice. They cut short a beach vacation with friends to do it, which is both amazing and unnecessary. I mean, hell yeah I’ll love the help, but I could manage by myself, too. They insisted 🙂
Last Saturday at Tar.get, DW picked up the first Captain.Underpants book for Monkey as he’d expressed an interest. He started reading it in the car, and when we got home, he sat on the couch reading for an hour!!!!!! At bedtime, he finished the book. So proud, y’all. This was a first for him. They are headed to the library today to pick up more in the series.
Now for a bucket list update!
Attend one Durham Bulls game per month:
June – Merge Records night
The family and our friend H went to the Merge Records night Bulls game. It was fun, but the Merge part was a big old letdown. We are huge Superchunk fans from way back, so hoped to see Mac and Laura out on the field, hear some tunes, etc. They had an organist playing Merge artist songs, a random Merge employee throw out the first pitch, and an unknown-to-us guy and his kid sing the national anthem. Sorry but YAWN. We love a Bulls game, though, so it was all good. This was the MM’s experience:
- On the way to ball park: I want pizza.
- On the way to seats: I want pizza.
- In seats: I WANT PIZZA!
- We get pizza. He fairly quickly eats his (huge) slice and then immediately: More pizza!
- Get a second slice: I want cotton candy!
- Boys share some cotton candy. The MM gets out of his seat: Okay, let’s go home. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
At least he agreed to get and wear a Bulls shirt this year. He wouldn’t do it last year, much to DW’s chagrin. Yes, we are one of those families in matching Bulls shirts for every game.
Go boating with local friends (first time for both boys)
A co-worker of mine lives on a lake and recently bought a fancy, brand new pontoon boat. They also have a pool. We were invited out last weekend and we all had a blast. We picked up a couple of life jackets (buy 1 get 1 free at Dick’s!), pack some snacks and beer and were on our way.
It was an hour drive from our house to their’s (co-worker has an hour commute to work). I was like, “This is insane! I can’t imagine doing this everyday here in NC!” Then we got to their house, on the lake, lots of land, beautiful. I was like, “Oh, now I get it.” We changed into swim suits and headed out on the boat.
Had a nice cruise around and then Monkey announces he wants to swim in the lake. Head back to their dock and Monkey gets in lake (with life jacket). MM decides to get in lake (this was a shocker!). Mama gets into lake. We had a total blast! I can’t remember the last time I swam in a lake. Then co-worker’s wife asks if Monkey would like to kayak. He’s never done this before and says he wants to. Child gets on the kayak and is like a freaking pro! Figured it all out in like 5 minutes and did great.
Then we got hosed off and went in the pool. Drank some beer, floated around, listened to music. Then lunch – pimento cheese, tuna salad, turkey and cheese sandwiches; chips and guac; iced tea and lemonade. Heaven. A bit more pool time and then we headed home. Boys sacked out easily. We hope to repeat this trip as we all had a really good time.
So as not to sugar-coat it, here are couple of not-so-great parts of the lake trip:
- A neighbor was mowing his lawn while we were swimming in the lake and apparently a couple of (non-venomous) snakes escaped the mower by slipping into the water and one was heading for Monkey. Co-worker was telling us this but none of us could really hear over the lawn mower noise. We never saw the snake (only co-worker and wife did) and all ended well, but man I bet Monkey would never step foot in a lake again had he seen that snake near him in the water! Shudder.
- When I went in from the pool to use the restroom, I slipped on the wet floor and busted my ass. I fell between the toilet and vanity and hit my leg, hip, arm and head, and slammed my right hand in the fall. I sat there stunned for a sec, thinking, “Am I okay? Did I break anything?” I did not, but I’m still pretty sore and bruised. Just glad no one was the wiser – how embarrassing!
- Visit Granny, Papa, and cousins for pool time
- Go on yearly Edisto beach trip (mid-July)
Get library cards.DONE
- Attend one Durham Bulls game per month
(First one is this weekend for Merge Records night!)June: DONE Go boating with local friends (first time for both boys)DONE (Hopefully more to come!)
- Get bikes for the family (finally)
Put an Intex pool in the back yardDW has nixed this plan 😦 It makes her uncomfortable since our yard isn’t fenced in. Ah well – guess we’ll have to visit the local pool instead!
- Go strawberry picking with friends
- Enroll in swimming lessons (the MM)
- Attend summer camp:
- The MM’s first summer camp experience (Super Hero camp with bro at what will be the MM’s preschool next year)
- Monkey’s summer camps: Chemistry, Art, Karate, Super Hero
Durham Bulls baseball (tentative)Monkey has decided he doesn’t want to do baseball. Mommy has a sad, but we will be enrolling the MM for fall ball, so she has another shot at it!
- Help Grandma move to Raleigh (mid-June)
- Go to Carowinds (mid-August)
Plan a local family vacayCarowinds will probably be it. Mommy doesn’t want to do another beach trip.