If you can believe it, I just got an appointment set for Tuesday morning for a breast ultrasound! Let’s hope my period doesn’t show up until after that point and that all looks good. Fingers crossed!
Tag Archives: mama’s health
Here is my day:
- Called imaging place to schedule ultrasound appointment. They had not yet received the order from my doctor.
- Called doctor’s office. Told me they still had to get it from the doctor and that they would fax it over this afternoon. I said, “So I can call and schedule my appointment this afternoon?” “Yes.”
- Just called (2:40PM) imaging place. Nope, still don’t have the order.
- Called doctor’s office. The doctor still hasn’t given it to them. They “will have it by 4PM.”
So I spent a ton of time today calling various places again…
- Called the other imaging place to see if it was possible to get in there. The woman told me for a mammogram, I’d have to wait 6 months post-nursing. I explained my situation and she was super nice and helpful. She said they could do an ultrasound (JDZ!) instead and it should be fine. I’d just need to get an order from my doctor to schedule it. She told me that I’d probably have to wait 2 weeks to be seen.
- Called my doctor (again) and talked to her about doing an ultrasound instead of a mammo. She agreed that it was fine and told me to talk to her nurse to get the order.
- Called the original imaging place to see if I could get in there sooner than the 2nd imaging place (are you keeping up with this?). Spent quite a bit of time on the phone with them explaining the situation, rescheduling the appointment, got very excited because they said I could come in Friday at 1, only to then have the woman tell me that they need an exact diagnosis for a breast ultrasound (i.e. they don’t offer full breast u/s – just specific views that require a closer look after a mammo).
- So then I called the other imaging place to make the appointment. The woman said I needed the order for the mammo with a diagnosis before making an appt, but said that next week was pretty open.
- Called my doctor’s nurse to get the order. She said my doctor would need to write it up and provide a diagnosis and that they would fax it over tonight so I can call tomorrow and make the appointment.
OMG. What a pain in the a$$. So, hopefully the appointment will get scheduled tomorrow, and hopefully my period won’t show up before I go in for the u/s, and hopefully the u/s will be absolutely normal. There is a possibility we’ll still be able to make this month, but I’m not holding my breath. My period arrived on the 21st of last month, but my periods are usually wonky and that was my first one after weaning, so it’s possible it won’t show up at that time. We’ll see…
Sorry so late – I was in the office today and it was kind of hectic. Here’s the low-down:
- First I called my OB/GYN and told his nurse my situation. She said my OB recommends a 6 month wait (!!!!). I said thanks and hung up.
- Next I called and left a message for my primary doctor. I spoke with her and she said there’s no reason to wait but that it’s at the discretion of the place. Sigh. She said I should call back and talk to her nurse to see if they could send me somewhere else that might do it.
- So I then called and talked to her nurse. She said they only refer to the place I went. She thinks there’s another place attached to another nearby hospital, but I would need to call and see if they would do it and then get another prescription from my doctor.
I think my plan is to call the original place and reschedule for mid-May. If they ask, I’ll just tell them I was off on the dates and it had actually been 2 months when I was last in. So we’ll lose one month. Lame but better than 2 months gone. At this point I doubt I could even get in at another place sooner than that anyway (it took weeks to get my original appointment). So frustrating.
Before I write today’s post, I’ll update you with what little has happened since the mammogram catastrophe. I tried calling my doctor and the super helpful person who answered the phone said that my question needed to be answered by my OB/GYN or the place where the mammogram is to take place. Sigh. My OB’s office is closed on Friday afternoons, so I’m going to call over there tomorrow AM and ask. If I get nowhere there, I’m going to call my doctor’s office again and just be more cryptic in what my question is so I can, you know, actually speak to the doctor who PRESCRIBED the mammogram and who told me flat out I could have one while still nursing. Yeah, I’m a little perturbed.
I’m thinking that if I just have to go with what I was told I may call and reschedule my appointment for next month (May instead of June) and when I get there just tell them (if they even remember) that I was wrong on the date and actually stopped nursing longer ago than I thought. Then at least we’d only be set back by one month instead of two. I’m not sure I can even be seen before then anyway – it took a while to get in with my original appointment and my next period is due in the next week/week and a half. It occurred to me that we might be set back even further if they find anything during this mammogram (even if it ends up being nothing – I’ve heard about this happening fairly frequently). So I just want it done NOW!
Anyway, this weekend DW has been away for most of the time at a convention, leaving me with baby Monkey all day and evening. He’s been great and we’ve had a wonderful time together, but man, I have an even greater appreciation of my SAHM wife. It ain’t easy! I also feel for my single mom friends. I have missed having adult conversations! Still, we’ve done some fun stuff. Yesterday we went for a walk around the neighborhood (twice!), finger painted, and Skyped with Granny and Papa (my parents). So far today we’ve walked the ‘hood (again) and watched an ep of Blue’s Clues (baby’s latest obsession). It’s adorable to hear him call out, “A clue! A clue!”
Not sure I mentioned that we’ve started a new bedtime routine in the last week. You may recall that we were walking Monkey around while singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star until he drifted off and then putting him in his crib. That really wasn’t working for me anymore as he’s so big and takes quite some time to fall asleep – it was killing my back. So we bought bedrails and now Monkey and I lay in bed together talking and singing until he goes to sleep. Some nights have been great and others not so much. Still I’d rather lay in bed for an hour than walk the floor with him while my back aches for 30 minutes. Here’s hoping it takes progressively less time as he gets used to it.
That’s it for now. I’ll be back to update when I find out more on this stupid mammogram thing (hopefully) tomorrow.
I went in today for my very first mammogram (I couldn’t do it at 40 due to nursing) and got some crap news. Apparently you have to wait 3 months after weaning to have a mammogram. It has been one month since I weaned Monkey. So, not only did I have to go out in the pouring rain and miss an hour of work this morning, I am now having to push out our first try for baby #2 to June/July. SO FRUSTRATING!!! I’m more pissed too because I even asked my doctor about nursing and mammograms and she acted like you didn’t even have to have the baby weaned to do it – just stop nursing for two days due to the xray. The woman at the place today felt really bad. I was like, “But I was going to start trying for another baby next month!” Damn it. And I can’t push out the mammogram another 2+ years, which is what it would be with pregnancy/nursing. That would be foolish. I’m just bummed out. Count this as a checkmark against being an older mom 😦
In other news, we are all sick and have been for days. Low-grade fever, congestion, sneezing, coughing – the works. Mama and Mommy are starting to feel better today, but I think poor Monkey is feeling worse today. He was begging to go to bed at 9:15 after waking up at 5 this morning. Poor guy.
Exactly one week to the day of Monkey’s very last nursing session, my period has arrived. For the record, I have not missed her.
Monkey napped for exactly 30 minutes today. Should be a fun afternoon!
I talked to my doctor about the possibility of pregnancy in regard to taking meds for high cholesterol. I found out that she can switch me to a different med that is okay for pregnant/nursing mothers. If we decide to go for it, that’s what we’ll do. For now, I’m going on Lipitor for 6 weeks and then retesting to see where my levels are. I’m hoping we make a call by then and at that point, I’ll either switch to the other drug and do an FET cycle or stay on Lipitor and close up the baby-making factory. No idea right this minute which it’ll be. Sigh.