Well, since my last post things have calmed down considerably. Big Seattle Company decided not to continue the interview process with me after the second phone interview, so that is off the table. A bit burnt about being rejected twice, but I was pretty conflicted about it anyway, so whatevs. I am now concentrating on NC for the job hunt, especially now that they recognize gay marriage! Wow, wow, wow. Not something I thought I’d ever see in my lifetime- so very happy. Isn’t it ironic that it was the passage of these discriminatory amendments that actually sped up marriage equality? By taking action to prevent us from equal rights, they’ve actually paved the way for us. Thanks, bigots!
Monkey is still terrorizing the MM (and us) and I’m hoping it’s just a passing phase. He just can’t keep his hands and feet to himself and he’s constantly yelling and screaming out for no reason other than to make NOISE. He’s always been a handful, but it seems to spike up to out of control at times. It’s so hard to keep your cool when watching someone hurt your baby – even when the one doing the hurting is your other baby. We’ve tried many different methods for changing the behavior but so far, nothing has worked. Honestly I think he needs more outdoor time to get all that energy out, but it’s not always easy with the MM and nap time. This is why I am seriously longing for a yard. It would be so awesome to be able to send him out back to play in a safe, fenced in environment. Y’all who have yards, savor that shit. I’m jealous!
In other news, we’ve been getting into the Halloween spirit with a trip to Knotts.Scary.Farm, 2 pumpkin patch visits, and another coming on Friday. We’re considering a Disney.land day trip, but we’ll see.
The MM is doing a lot of talking these days and it is ADORABLE. He can say:
- Thomas (as in the train)
He has more words than this, but these are the ones we hear most often. He also imitates almost everything we say. Notice that”No” is not in that word list? The MM is super sweet and mellow and hardly ever says no. Now, I’m sure that will be changing in the near future, but for now, I’ll enjoy my sweet little baby. He is still nursing quite a bit (I’m ready/not ready to nightwean soon) and is a decent eater. His sleep has been a little tough lately as he’s really been wanting to be on the boob all night long (see nightweaning above), but we have never been up for hours in the night like we were when Monkey was his age and he stays in bed until 6-7 every morning. He is very clingy with me lately, which is both sweet and a little maddening. I love my little Mama’s boy so so much!
We survived traveling across the country with a toddler! Not only that, we had a great time. Cast of characters included Granny and Papa (my parents), Aunt Lynda (my dad’s sister), my brother, SiL, niece (6), nephew (4), and 2nd cousin (13 – Lynda is her Granny). Bullets:
- We left last Sunday. There was a 30 minute drive to LAX (we got a carseat-equipped Town car), a 2 hour flight from LAX-Detroit, a 1 hour layover, a 4 hour flight from Detroit-Charleston, SC, and a 45 minute drive from Charleston-Edisto. Monkey did very very well. He slept for almost an hour on the first flight and then was entertained by the iPad (Yo Gabba Gabba eps and apps), the big bag of cheap toys, and many snacks the rest of the time. There were some tough moments, but no major meltdowns or anything. Definitely doable.
- Monday was the 4th. My dad decorated a wagon to pull the kids (Monkey and my niece and nephew) in the local children’s parade. Monkey was a bit clingy and wouldn’t get in the wagon. We walked around in the crazy humid heat (OMG!) and then went back to the house and down to the beach. Monkey LOVED the beach. He wanted to run right into the waves. We took him in the water for a bit with us and he loved it. He played and later sat in my lap, nursed (sand and milk – yum!), and fell asleep for his afternoon nap under the umbrella. Mamas had a nice time chatting with the relatives and drinking a Bud Light Lime.
- Tuesday was another beach day. My aunt and uncle came for a couple of nights. We spend the day playing on the beach and Monkey took a marathon beach nap – 2 hours! That night we took a walk on the beach with flashlights and watched Pretty Little Liars with my little cousin.
- Wednesday we tried to go over to Botany Bay, but it was high tide so we didn’t get down to the shore. Monkey had a freak out as he wanted out of the car, so we drove through and cut it short. We definitely want to go back there next year and really explore. Ended up on the beach for the afternoon/early evening. The adults played Apples to Apples when the kids went to bed.
- Thursday we originally planned to go to Savannah for a day trip, but after Monkey’s meltdown the day before I thought it wasn’t the best idea. Instead, we left Monkey with Granny and Papa and the rest of us went to the Edisto Serpenterium. Creepy! We checked out snakes, lizards, and gators. Then Mamas and my Aunt and little cousin went out for lunch. Afterward it was back to the beach for more sand and surf.
- Friday we came home. We had the 45 minute drive from Edisto-Charleston (Monkey had a short nap during this) and ate lunch in the airport. Then it was a 1.5 hour flight from Charleston-Atlanta (with an additional 40 minutes sitting on the runway – argh), hardly any layover due to the delay in Charleston, a 4 hour flight from Atlanta-LAX (Monkey slept for over 2 hours!), and a 45 minute drive from LAX-home. Monkey did great! He lost it on the plane about 15 minutes out of LA – who could blame him? That was the only bad part and since it was almost over, it wasn’t so terrible.
To sum up, we had a blast. Monkey was a bit over-tired and over-stimulated, but overall he had a great time. He was big with the biting (OUCH) and did throw a few fits, which is out of character for him. I am now talking with DW about possibly moving South at some point. Are we insane for thinking about that those of you who live down there? Major plus: Tons of family support, way better cost of living. Major downside: No recognition of us as a family, loss of our gay family network out here. We’ll see…
Protected picture post to come!
Yeah, so I totally fell of the June non-challenge wagon. Sorry about that, folks. Monkey got a terrible cold a week ago and now that he is all better, Mama and Mommy have been struck down. I can’t sleep because I can’t breathe, so I thought I’d blog a bit. A lot going on lately.
Monkey had his 18 month check up this week. He saw another ped as ours is out of the country currently. Monkey is 24 lbs (I think he lost a bit of weight due to the cold – he barely ate all week and would only nurse) and 33 1/2″. Tall and thin, that’s my Monkey. The ped recommended getting him evaluated for possible speech delay, but I don’t think we are going to at this point. He is engaged, totally understands what we say, and has about 10 words. I think it’s a bit soon to get worked up about it personally. I also doubt our regular ped would find it problematic. I’m not going to go all hyper Mama on this. My kid is smart and healthy and my mother’s intuition tells me that he’s doing just fine. DW feels the same way.
I have a lead on a possible new position at work. There is a new team forming and I expressed an interest in being on it. The guy leading it was very enthusiastic. Now I just have to talk to my current boss (gulp) and hope she sees it in a positive light. She is generally very supportive of career growth/opportunities, but due to a recent reorg, I know she is feeling a bit crazed. Wish me luck as I think this would be a very good thing.
We leave for our first plane trip with Monkey on Sunday. We have so much to do tomorrow, it’s not even funny. Sick baby + sick Mamas = no time to prepare. Oh well – we are just going to lay on a beach for 4 days so packing shouldn’t be too difficult. On this trip, Monkey will meet his two cousins, uncle, aunt (my SiL), great aunt, and 3rd cousin (my 1st cousin’s kid would be Monkey’s 3rd cousin, right?) for the first time. Pretty exciting! It will be DW’s first time at the yearly family beach trip. Here’s hoping all goes well. I know Monkey will have a blast. He’s old enough to really enjoy running the beach and I think he will.
Happy 4th to those who celebrate it!