Hello, friends. My post title might be a bit ahead of itself, but I am feeling like this is going to happen, so…
I got contacted on Linked.In last week about a super-cool opportunity with a BIG company in Seattle (not Micro.Soft). I’ve already had 2 interviews (1 with the Big Co. recruiter and 1 with a woman who would be my co-worker). I have another scheduled for Friday afternoon with the hiring manager. The position is a perfect fit with my experience and my interests. My current position, though super awesome in terms of flexible schedule and light workload, is not where my heart lies professionally. DW and I had a serious discussion about this possible relocation last night and I think we’re ready to do it if I’m offered the job at the salary I want.
- Big pay jump
- We could buy a house right now instead of waiting years like we’d have to do in LA (wait for DW to return to work)
- We could probably keep our LA condo as a rental property
- Back to the type of work I like with a big, respected, well-known company
- Gay marriage is legal in WA, liberal state
- We have to move anyway at some point and Big Co will cover packing and moving expenses
- We have talked about the possibility of moving to the Pacific NW
- We like living in LA and we like our neighborhood (that said, we can’t afford to buy a house in our area so we’d be out of here at some point anyway)
- Monkey’s co-op preschool is awesome – would be sad to leave such a nice community of people
- Have to work hard to ramp up at new job – currently in a kind of cushy position and work-from-home full-time
- Less time with the Marshmallow as I’d be in the office rather than at home – I also worry about my milk supply if I’m pumping in the office rather than at home nursing
It just seems like too good an opportunity in so many ways to pass up. I am terrified at the prospect of moving out of state with 2 small children. Hopefully my mom could come out and help us.
Yes, I’d say shit just got real.
PS: If you are my friend on Face.Book, PLEASE do not mention this there. I have some work friends on there and we are not mentioning this to MiL until/unless an offer is made.