I went in today for my very first mammogram (I couldn’t do it at 40 due to nursing) and got some crap news. Apparently you have to wait 3 months after weaning to have a mammogram. It has been one month since I weaned Monkey. So, not only did I have to go out in the pouring rain and miss an hour of work this morning, I am now having to push out our first try for baby #2 to June/July. SO FRUSTRATING!!! I’m more pissed too because I even asked my doctor about nursing and mammograms and she acted like you didn’t even have to have the baby weaned  to do it – just stop nursing for two days due to the xray. The woman at the place today felt really bad. I was like, “But I was going to start trying for another baby next month!” Damn it. And I can’t push out the mammogram another 2+ years, which is what it would be with pregnancy/nursing. That would be foolish. I’m just bummed out. Count this as a checkmark against being an older mom 😦

In other news, we are all sick and have been for days. Low-grade fever, congestion, sneezing, coughing – the works. Mama and Mommy are starting to feel better today, but I think poor Monkey is feeling worse today. He was begging to go to bed at 9:15 after waking up at 5 this morning. Poor guy.


Filed under Uncategorized

8 responses to “aaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

  1. Mo

    Ugh! so sorry! how frustrating!


  2. JDZ

    Would your doctor let you have a breast ultrasound instead? I’ve heard that they are actually MORE accurate than mamogram but are very time consuming so that is why they are not first for detection. I have fibrous breasts (we’re really getting to know each other now) and have yearly breast ultrasounds-including when I was still milky. With the u/s you can see the difference between fluid and hard mass which is, I’m guessing, why the mamo would be moot right now.

    • Good question! I was just going to accept the delay (and maybe I’ll still have to), but now I think I will give my primary doctor a call and see if anything can be done. I mean, it’s been more than 3 months since Monkey was really bfing in earnest – there just can’t be much (if any) milk in there at this point. Maybe she can send me somewhere else, I don’t know. I (and DW) just don’t want more time to think about #2, you know? Decision is made, let’s get to it before we start questioning it! 😉

  3. What a pain. Hopefully JDZ had a good suggestion there and you won’t have to wait on TTC#2.

  4. Kellee

    I had a mamogram 3 weeks after I stopped breastfeeding #1 in order to TTC #2. My doctor required the mamogram before allowing me to cycle and she recommended I just lie about when I had stopped breastfeeding — that worked.

  5. Boo! 😦
    I hope you can figure out a way to get it done sooner, waiting would suck.

  6. I hate when you specificly ask and then get the wrong answer. That is BS. I’m so sorry that you have to push back TTC. Maybe you can go to another dr and tell them you weaned 4 months ago. LOL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s