We survived traveling across the country with a toddler! Not only that, we had a great time. Cast of characters included Granny and Papa (my parents), Aunt Lynda (my dad’s sister), my brother, SiL, niece (6), nephew (4), and 2nd cousin (13 – Lynda is her Granny). Bullets:
- We left last Sunday. There was a 30 minute drive to LAX (we got a carseat-equipped Town car), a 2 hour flight from LAX-Detroit, a 1 hour layover, a 4 hour flight from Detroit-Charleston, SC, and a 45 minute drive from Charleston-Edisto. Monkey did very very well. He slept for almost an hour on the first flight and then was entertained by the iPad (Yo Gabba Gabba eps and apps), the big bag of cheap toys, and many snacks the rest of the time. There were some tough moments, but no major meltdowns or anything. Definitely doable.
- Monday was the 4th. My dad decorated a wagon to pull the kids (Monkey and my niece and nephew) in the local children’s parade. Monkey was a bit clingy and wouldn’t get in the wagon. We walked around in the crazy humid heat (OMG!) and then went back to the house and down to the beach. Monkey LOVED the beach. He wanted to run right into the waves. We took him in the water for a bit with us and he loved it. He played and later sat in my lap, nursed (sand and milk – yum!), and fell asleep for his afternoon nap under the umbrella. Mamas had a nice time chatting with the relatives and drinking a Bud Light Lime.
- Tuesday was another beach day. My aunt and uncle came for a couple of nights. We spend the day playing on the beach and Monkey took a marathon beach nap – 2 hours! That night we took a walk on the beach with flashlights and watched Pretty Little Liars with my little cousin.
- Wednesday we tried to go over to Botany Bay, but it was high tide so we didn’t get down to the shore. Monkey had a freak out as he wanted out of the car, so we drove through and cut it short. We definitely want to go back there next year and really explore. Ended up on the beach for the afternoon/early evening. The adults played Apples to Apples when the kids went to bed.
- Thursday we originally planned to go to Savannah for a day trip, but after Monkey’s meltdown the day before I thought it wasn’t the best idea. Instead, we left Monkey with Granny and Papa and the rest of us went to the Edisto Serpenterium. Creepy! We checked out snakes, lizards, and gators. Then Mamas and my Aunt and little cousin went out for lunch. Afterward it was back to the beach for more sand and surf.
- Friday we came home. We had the 45 minute drive from Edisto-Charleston (Monkey had a short nap during this) and ate lunch in the airport. Then it was a 1.5 hour flight from Charleston-Atlanta (with an additional 40 minutes sitting on the runway – argh), hardly any layover due to the delay in Charleston, a 4 hour flight from Atlanta-LAX (Monkey slept for over 2 hours!), and a 45 minute drive from LAX-home. Monkey did great! He lost it on the plane about 15 minutes out of LA – who could blame him? That was the only bad part and since it was almost over, it wasn’t so terrible.